Sharing the Divorce News
Arriving at the time to share the news with your children can be an overwhelming and scary period. In the first blog post I recap the generals in thinking through elements beforehand. This post deals with the best way to share the actual news. And in the following blog post I share what to expect and how to prepare for the aftermath and moving forward.
How to Tell your Children You Are Getting A Divorce:
Before anything- be sure you are getting a divorce before you share! Be at least one step ahead in the processing and grieving process, and to consider a plan & logistics moving forward.
*Consider what it is you want to say
- Tell the news together, if possible
- Consider child’s age and what they can digest
- Tell child what is going to happen. DON’T TELL ON YOUR SPOUSE
When to Share The News of the Divorce:
*Consider when and how you are going to go about it
- Avoid important days, such as holidays. As well as days when anybody is feeling sick
- Do it when you have plenty of time without limitations
- Younger children (2-3 weeks before any major structural changes)
- Older children (1-2 months before any major structural changes)
- Emote with the children “Everyone gets to grieve together”